Advised biologics? What now
Frightened or unsure? Here's a calm way to think it through — and what a second look involves.


Treatment decisions in rheumatology are best made together with your treating rheumatologist, who knows your full history. These guides are here to help you understand the choices in plain language, so you can ask better questions and feel more settled about the plan you make with your doctor.
If you've just been told "you need a biologic"
You are probably somewhere between frightened and angry. You may have searched the drug name at midnight and found horror stories. You may be wondering whether this means the disease is very serious, or whether you've been given up on. Let me take those one at a time — because all of them are common, and none of them has to be true.
Three honest possibilities
When someone comes to me after being advised a biologic, the review usually lands in one of three places:
- Your doctor's advice was right — the most common outcome. The disease is active despite a proper trial of conventional medicines, or it's aggressive, and a biologic is the sensible next step. I'll explain why, and which one, and what to expect.
- Something can be optimised first. Methotrexate was too low, too brief, or not taken properly; or a second conventional drug hasn't been tried; or a short steroid bridge could settle things while conventional treatment takes hold. Sometimes this delays or avoids a biologic — sometimes it just confirms one is needed.
- The diagnosis itself needs revisiting. Occasionally what's being treated as rheumatoid arthritis is something else — and the right treatment is different altogether. This is rarer, but it's why I always start from the beginning rather than from the prescription.
A second opinion is not a vote of no confidence in your doctor — most rheumatologists welcome it, and in most cases it confirms the plan. What it gives you is understanding, and understanding is what makes people stick with treatment that works.
Questions worth asking — any doctor
- Which conventional medicines have I tried, at what dose, for how long — and did I take them properly?
- What is my disease activity right now, in numbers? (Rheumatologists measure this — ask for the score.)
- Is there evidence of joint damage already, on X-ray or ultrasound?
- What happens to my joints if we wait six months?
- Which biologic, and why this one rather than another?
- What screening do I need before starting, and which vaccines?
- How will we know it's working, and by when?
- What would make you stop or switch it?
- What will it cost me per month, and is there a biosimilar or a scheme that helps?
- If I'm planning a pregnancy, how does that change the choice?
Screenshot this list. These help you understand the plan — whatever the answer turns out to be.
What I'd gently ask you not to do
- Don't stop your current medicines while you think. Stopping methotrexate "to clean the system" before a second opinion just lets the disease flare.
- Don't swap to unproven treatments because they sound safer. Ayurvedic, homeopathic or "natural" remedies have not been shown to stop joint damage in inflammatory arthritis. Some contain hidden steroids or heavy metals. If you want to use them alongside, tell me — but not instead.
- Don't rely on someone else's experience. Your cousin's reaction to a drug tells you nothing about how you'll do. Each person's disease and body differ.
- Don't decide by cost alone, silently. Raise it. Options exist.
- Don't let fear of the injection stop you. Pre-filled pens are simple; most people are surprised how easy it is after the first time.
How a review with me works
Bring every report you have — old and new — and your current prescriptions. I'll examine you, look at the whole history, use ultrasound if it helps, and measure where the disease actually is today. Then I'll explain plainly which of the three possibilities above applies, and why. If a biologic is right — which it usually is when a rheumatologist has advised it — I'll say so and help you start well. If something can be optimised first, I'll discuss it with you, and with your treating doctor if you wish.
Common questions
Is a second opinion before starting biologics reasonable?+
Does being advised a biologic mean my arthritis is very severe?+
Can I delay biologics and try something else first?+
Are biologics the last resort?+
Will I be stuck on biologics for life?+
Want a second look before you decide?
Bring your reports and prescriptions. Walk-in, no appointment — a calm assessment of where your disease is and what it needs.
Clinic timings & location